Empowering Optimal Health & Performance in Rural Communities

Call Now (02) 5301 6585

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Accredited Exercise Physiologist?

Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) are allied health professionals that specialise in the treatment, management and prevention of chronic health conditions, diseases and injuries through evidence-based exercise therapy. AEPs have a minimum of 4 years university education and training. You may see an AEP to assist you with your cardiovascular, respiratory, metabolic, neurologic, musculoskeletal or mental health conditions.

What is the difference between an AEP and Physiotherapist?

Physiotherapists are well known allied health professionals who are the experts at diagnosis and acute management of musculoskeletal injuries. They will use manual handing techniques such as massage and manipulations to treat the initial stages of injuries to muscles, tendons and ligaments. AEP’s are also allied health professionals whom specialise in the treatment, management and prevention of chronic injuries. They use evidence based exercise to actively treat their patients injury. As well as musculoskeletal injury rehab, AEPs assist patients with diabetes, COPD, emphysema, stokes, high blood pressure, cancer, mental health disorders and chronic pain, manage their symptoms and disease progression.

What is the difference between an AEP and Personal Trainer?

Personal trainers can obtain their qualifications a number of ways. Most personal trainers have a Cert 3 or 4 in fitness, however the quality of this qualification varies, as some may obtain this in a matter of a few short weeks of education, training and experience. A personal trainers scope of practice involves working with apparently healthy people, with no chronic disease or injury, that wishes to improve their fitness, decrease their weight or increase their muscle mass. Accredited Exercise Physiologists must complete a least 4 years of university education and a minimum of 500 hours of clinical supervision before they are even allowed to consult as an AEP. They have expert knowledge around various disease states and injuries and understand the most effective and safe exercise needed to assist people suffering from such states.

Do i need a referral to see an exercise physiologist?

No you don’t. However, if you have been referred by your GP, they may provide you with one for the following reasons:

– You are on an EPC/TCA care plan which entitles you to some significant rebates from Medicare.

– You are a veteran and the DVA will pay for clinically necessary treatment.

– You are part of a Workers Compensation or CTP claim.

Do you do home visits?

We prefer that our patients come to one of our clinics, as then we have access to all relevant assessment tools.

However, we do have the capacity to complete home visits on a needs by needs basis.

Please call us on (02) 5301 6585 or e-mail mail@motionasmedicine.com.au to discuss further.

What should i expect from my initial consultation?

The session will begin with a comprehensive pre-screening so we are fully aware of all your pre-existing injuries and medical conditions, so we can safely and effectively help you. We will then discuss your goals and desired outcomes. After that, your AEP will run you through a range of assessments depending on your goals, injuries and disease state. Finally, you will work with your AEP to discuss your assessment results and plan a way of getting to your desired state of health. You will leave with a clear treatment/management plan set in place.

How often should i see an exercise physiologist?

This is a very difficult question to answer. It depends on your reason for referral, the medical conditions/injuries that you have and the goals you wish to achieve. Some people see us weekly, others fortnightly for a few months, whilst others need more longer term care. Please give our friendly staff a call on (02) 5301 6585 if you would like to get a better idea for your current situation.

Do you have an age limit for the people that you assist?

No. We currently have patients that range from 5 years of age to 93 years of age.

How much do your services cost?

This varies depending on the type of service required and if a third party is being billed for all or some of your treatment.

To get an up to date and accurate idea of the investment you will place in your health, please call (02) 5301 6585 or e-mail mail@motionasmedicine.com.au.

Do you take on work experience or work placement students?

Yes! When we can.

We love to educate people at all stages of their career. Sometimes we may not be able to take on students, but we try our best to accommodate such requests and provide a quality learning experience.

Do you have access to parking?

All of our clinics in all of our locations have ample parking that is very close to the front door of the clinic. 

Can i claim my private health rebate at your clinic?

As Accredited Exercise Physiologists, we are registered with various private health providers, so you may be able to claim a rebate depending on your level of cover.

Unfortunately we don’t have a HICAPs machine, thus we will give you a copy of a receipt to pass onto your health fund so you can easily claim the rebate if you are entitled to.

Consulting throughout the Riverina
and Central West, NSW Australia

Phone: (02) 5301 6585


We are Social :